Celebrate Family Literacy Day in Burnaby
January 27 is Family Literacy Day in Burnaby. This year’s theme is “Learning in the Great Outdoors”, which encourages families to make time for outdoor learning. Spending time in nature provides many cognitive benefits. Studies have shown that exposure to nature improves a child’s ability to learn and can even improve grades. In the age of pandemic induced social distancing and remote work, we should prioritize outdoor activities more.
If you’re interested in taking part in Family Literacy Day, simply visit FamilyLiteracyDay.ca to access free learning activities and materials, or to find a local event.
New Westminster Family Literacy Day Event
This is free and opened to the public, kids of all ages and their parents are welcome.
*Kids will receive a free book
*Participate in the Outdoor Story Walks(R): Learn the Alphabet with Northwest Coast Native Art
*Parents will gain useful tips and tools to use to promote literacy with their children in different aspects
Date: Thursday, January 27, 2022
Time: 11:00 AM
Contact Name: Literacy New Westminster
701 Eight Avenue
New Westminster, British Columbia V3M2R2
For fun family activities you can do at home or outdoors, here are some ideas for children 1-8 years old:
- Let’s Connect! Babies (up to 1 year old)
- Let’s Connect! Toddlers (1 – 2 years old)
- Let’s Connect! Preschoolers (3-5 years old)
- Let’s Connect! Primary (6-8 years old)
- 15 Minutes of Family Fun – Kitchen Time
- Let’s Make It! Toddlers (1-2 years)
- Tuning into Music: Listen! Make! Move! – Backgrounder
- Let’s Play Together! Pretend Play – Toddlers
- Let’s Be Active! Primary (6-8 years old)