What is Family Literacy?
Family literacy focuses on parents as the means to improve the literacy skills of children from a young age. Parents model literacy as an important skill needed to take part in society. These programs can increase adult literacy when literacy instruction for adults is incorporated into programs as well. Adults can also learn how to support their children’s learning.
Facts and Figures
- Children spend five times as much time outside the classroom as they do in school, so parents and caregivers play a vital role in their learning. (ABC Life Literacy)
- Children whose parents are involved with them in family literacy activities score 10 points higher on standardized reading tests. (ABC Life Literacy)
- One year of parental education has a bigger positive impact on whether a son or daughter will attend a post-secondary institution than an extra $50,000 in parental income. (ABC Life Literacy)
- Family Literacy First has free resources for financial literacy. To access all of them, create an account.
- Burnaby Public Library for families
- ABC Life’s Family Literacy Day
- Outdoor Activities for Family Literacy
- Kitchen Activities for Family Literacy
- Everyday Activities for Family Literacy
- Fun Story Telling Activities